- air strike
: an air attack
* * *the bombing or strafing of a city, enemy force, etc., by military aircraft: The air strike devastated the enemy's submarine base. Also, airstrike.[1940-45]
* * *air strike nounAn attack with aircraft• • •Main Entry: ↑air
* * *an attack in which one or more planes drop bombs on a placeThesaurus: military or armed attackhyponym
* * *to attack with aircraft: »
Our President's refusal…to airstrike the Serbian artillery is dismaying (William Safire).air strike,an attack by aircraft upon a target: »
130 guerrillas had been killed, 100 of them by immediate air strikes (New York Times).
* * *n. an attack made by aircraft
* * *noun, pl ⋯ strikes [count]: an attack in which military airplanes drop bombs
The strategy calls for air strikes on key targets.
* * *ˈair strike 7 [air strike] nounan attack made by aircraft
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
air|strike — «AIR STRYK», transitive verb, struck, struck or strick|en, strik|ing. to attack with aircraft: »Our President s refusal…to airstrike the Serbian artillery is dismaying (William Safire). air strike … Useful english dictionary
air strike — air′ strike or air′strike n. cvb the bombing or strafing of a city, enemy stronghold, etc., by military aircraft • Etymology: 1940–45 … From formal English to slang
air strike — air strikes also airstrike N COUNT An air strike is an attack by military aircraft in which bombs are dropped. This expression is usually used by the country or group that is carrying out the attack. Compare air raid. A senior defence official… … English dictionary
air strike — n an attack in which military aircraft drop bombs … Dictionary of contemporary English
air strike — air ,strike noun count an attack in which one or more airplanes drop bombs on a place … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
air strike — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms air strike : singular air strike plural air strikes an attack in which one or more planes drop bombs on a place … English dictionary
air strike — the bombing or strafing of a city, enemy force, etc., by military aircraft: The air strike devastated the enemy s submarine base. Also, airstrike. [1940 45] * * * … Universalium
air strike — air attack, assault from the air … English contemporary dictionary
air strike — An attack on specific objectives by fighter, bomber, or attack aircraft on an offensive mission. May consist of several air organizations under a single command in the air … Military dictionary
air strike — (Roget s 3 Superthesaurus) n. bombing, bombing run, strafing, carpet bombing, air assault … English dictionary for students